Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Holiday cheer: attitude check


Christmas is 5 days away from becoming the most important here and now, and I'm as mellow as a marshmallow. "How's that?" you ponder—duly noting that egg nog libations have been known to aid in reducing holiday stress, as well as give meaning and purpose to the phrase 'holiday cheer'.

It's simple really. It's all in the attitude.

Sure, it would be easy to get wadded up and snap after waiting an inordinately long time at the post office to ship off schmaltzy gifts to family members two states away.

"How dare you ask me if I want a return-receipt!" you seeth, dope slapping the postal worker in your head while quickly rejiggering your todo list to make up for the two seconds you just lost in productivity.

But common sense prevails and you turn your attention to the blinky Christmas pin she's chosen to adorn herself with instead. She smiles when you flatter her holiday fashion sense. You note that she gently places your package atop others awaiting delivery as opposed to drop-kicking it into submission. You pay for your shipping, bid each other a happy holiday and head straight to Walgreen's for a blinky Christmas pin of your own.

Hoppy holidays, my friends.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

does this mean its your last post until after Christmas? oops, is it politically correct to say Christmas anymore ;-)

Mama Foo said...

I usually opt for something like 'Chrismukkah' to cast a wider net, but in a moment of weakness, my midwest blood must have penned the blog entry.

That said, fret not my friend, for there will be one more blog entry before I head out Sunday for the Canadian wilds.

Unknown said...

I'm heading out to Walgreens for a blinky Christmas pin :0)

Dave said...

Kerry,
Where are you?
Dave